INCATS Nursing Degree Scholars Program
- Enrolled members of Federally Recognized American Indian/Alaska Native tribes.
- Nominated by a community partner (tribal clinic, tribal college or tribal organization)
- Accepted and enrolled at the University of Arizona in a **priority nursing program (BSN, MEPN, or DNP as Family [FNP] or Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner [PMHNP] ). **Please note: priority programs designated by the Indian Health Services (IHS).
- Agreeable upon program completion to an IHS payback obligation
- 2 years for every 1 year of IHS funding support in a position as RN or DNP in a direct patient care role at a tribal or IHS setting
- Applicants with Arizona based tribal affiliations and veterans will receive priority consideration
- Financial support (Tuition, stipends, fees)
- Tailored, culturally relevant mentoring provided by peers and faculty
- Professional skills development
- Preparation for RN licensure or APRN certifcation and job placement
Each INCAT scholar is expected to return to a tribal community or tribal healthcare setting to honor investments of tribal collaborations and partnerships. Obligation (2 years for every 1 year of I.H.S funding support).
- If you are interested in pursuing a priority nursing degree (BSN, MEPN, DNP - FNP, PMHNP) schedule an appointment with the appropriate UA College of Nursing admissions counselor:
- Together you will review transcripts and documents from all previous education, obtain admission advice and determine/recommend appropriate nursing program(s) for application
Available all year: Admissions counseling is available year-round for scholars interested in applying for a UA nursing degree program and those interested in later applying for the INCATS program upon admission to a UA nursing degree program.
** Please note, all awards are dependent upon availability of scholarship funds. We anticipate funding between 6-10 scholars per academic year.
Upon admission to a University of Arizona College of Nursing priority degree program, INCATS scholar applicants will:
- Submit degree program Proof of Admission documentation along with a personal INCATS program Letter of Interest via email to INCATS@nursing.arizona.edu.
- Obtain a Community Partner Nomination from the designated administrator at an INCATS community partner clinical agency OR tribal community college partner.
- After INCATS partner nomination, you will be asked to submit a Personal Statement via a designated weblink (URL link shared later) that includes:
- your name and tribal community partner
- reasons for wanting to pursue a degree in nursing
- commitment to returning to work in a tribal community
- understanding and willingness to complete the **IHS payback obligation if funded
** IHS Payback Obligation and Scholar Reporting:
As an INCATS Scholar, you must:
- sign an IHS contract each funding cycle awarded (each academic year)
- maintain a GPA of 3.00 throughout entire funding period
- complete IHS reporting documents each semester and submit to the INCATS administrative team and the IHS web portal