Student Technology Needs
Welcome to the College of Nursing. In order to be successful in your online life here, you will need to know a few things about the technology you will be using.
What should I know?
You should have an understanding of the Internet and email basics. You will be navigating and searching the Internet, posting comments and documents online and corresponding with others in your class using web-based conferencing and email.
What do I need?
You should have a computer that meets or exceeds the requirements listed below.
Computer Hardware Requirements
- A Windows / Mac OS computer or laptop that is no older than two years.
- Monitor size is up to you, but we recommend something that you can view comfortably.
- 4GB RAM minimum with 8GB recommended. This link will help you perform a memory scan to determine how much RAM a computer has and what the upgrade options are: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner
- Computer headphones with boom mic - This is a great tool for online meetings.
- Video webcam - Also for meeting your classmates and instructors online.
- Broadband internet connection (Cable Modem, DSL, ISDN)
Satellite internet is not recommended due to the high latency of the connection.
Please note: Netbooks, iPads and tablets are great auxiliary tools, but should not be used as the primary computer.
Software and Plug-Ins
Below are some programs and plug-ins that will make your online life at the College of Nursing easier.
- Microsoft Office (Free to UA students - see UA Bookstore for details)
- Endnote - Available through the UA Bookstore is recommended for all graduate students.
- Sophos AV (free to students, faculty and staff of the UA). Please note, unlike chocolate chip cookies, more is not better when it comes to anti-virus programs. You only need one. If you already have a current subscription to another anti-virus program, you need not install Sophos.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader - Allows you to read PDF files - free download
- Flash player - View animated or Flash video content - free download
- Java RunTime Environment - Some D2L videos require this to run - free download
Maintenance & Configuration
- Cookies must be enabled.
- Popups must be allowed.
LHTI is your College of Nursing Technical Support for your academic career. We are open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You can find us online at https://uaservice.arizona.edu/CherwellPortal/Nursing. For after hours and general personal computer support you can also contact the 24/7 IT Support Center. They can be found online at http://support.arizona.edu.