CastleBranch – Student Credentialing
In order to provide clinical rotation opportunities to students, the University of Arizona Health Sciences (UAHS) enters into a legal agreement with a clinical placement site and/or preceptor. In the agreement, UAHS agrees that each student will meet certain requirements before being placed at the site. These requirements are tracked in CastleBranch (CB).
The purpose of this guide is to:
- Identify which students must be compliant with the requirements in CB
- Outline the procedure to monitor compliance with requirements in CB
- Define the consequences for those not in compliance with requirements in CB
This guide applies to the following College of Nursing (CON) students:
- Graduate Students
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
- Master of Science for Entry to the Profession of Nursing (MEPN)
- Nurse Anesthetist (DNP-NA)
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP)
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
- Rural Telehealth
- Undergraduate Students
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Integrative Health (BSN-IH)
- Grant Recipients
- ANIE – Nursing Workforce Diversity
- INCATS – American Indians in Nursing: Career Advance
The CON students* below are exempt from the requirements outlined in this guide:
- Graduate Students
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Executive Health Systems Leadership (EHSL)
- Master of Science to Doctor of Nursing Practice (MS-DNP)
- Registered Nurse to Master of Science in Nursing (RN-MSN)
- Undergraduate Students
*Note: If an exempt student is placed at a clinical site, the student must work with their Clinical Placement Coordinator to secure written agreement from the site to be exempt from the requirements in CB. Without such written agreement, the student is not exempt and is required to abide by this guide.
CON students will upload the required documents to CB before the identified deadlines.
Clinical Database Coordinator will report to Clinical Placement Coordinators any student who is out of compliance with requirements in CB.
- Each Undergraduate student is required to meet all requirements outlined in CB seven days before the start of the semester in which they begin their clinical rotations.
- Each Graduate student, except CRNA students, is required to meet all requirements outlined in CB before the start of RISE 2.
- Each CRNA student is required to meet all requirements outlined in CB seven days before the start of the semester in which they begin their clinical rotations.
- All students are required to maintain compliance with the requirements in CB until all clinical placement hours are complete.
- All students are prohibited from participating in clinical rotations if they are not 100% compliant with all requirements outlined in CB.
- Students who participate in clinical rotations without being 100% compliant with all requirements outlined in CB a) will be considered in default of this policy and the Safe and Professional Performance in Clinical Laboratory Settings Policy, b) will not receive credit for the time, and c) may face further disciplinary action.
- Students will receive an email directly from the CON with instructions on how to establish a CB account.
- Once the account is established, students will see the list of requirements and associated deadlines.
- Students will receive an automated reminder email from CB 60-, 30-, 21-, 14-, and 7-days before each requirement deadline.
- If the student has not met each CB requirement seven days before the associated deadline, the student will receive a Student Progression Report (SPR). The student will have 6 days to complete the missing items.
- If the student has not met the requirements in CB by the deadline, the student is considered non-compliant and is prohibited from participating in clinical rotations.
- The Clinical Placement Coordinator will notify the student’s Clinical Faculty, the clinical placement site and the onsite preceptor/contact that the student is non-compliant and unable to participate in clinical rotations.
- The student status will remain “NON-COMPLIANT” until all requirements in CB are met.
- Once the student’s CB status reads “COMPLIANT”, the student will notify the Clinical Faculty in writing and request to continue participation in clinical rotations.
- Within 48 business hours the Clinical Faculty will notify the student of next steps.
- Becoming non-compliant may impact the student’s ability to successfully complete a rotation or course.
Outputs of this process include:
- Weekly compliance report identifying students who are 1) nearing compliance deadlines, and 2) not in compliance with requirements outlined in CB
- SPRs for any students not in compliance with requirements outlined in CB
There may be times students are not able to complete the requirements in CB due to circumstances beyond their control. These circumstances may include issues related to natural disasters, national security, pandemics, etc.
If a student is not able to complete the requirements in CB due to circumstances beyond their control, such as those identified above, the student will simply not be eligible to participate in clinical rotations until the requirements are met. The student will not receive an SPR nor will they face further consequences.
UA CON must maintain a CB account.
April 10, 2020