DNP Admission Requirements
The University of Arizona College of Nursing is committed to creating an academically challenging and supportive educational community of students with diverse talents, experiences, viewpoints and cultural backgrounds. Faculty members of the College are interested in receiving applications from highly motivated students who aspire to the highest level of advanced nursing practice and knowledge development in acute and primary care settings. Applications are particularly encouraged from students who intend to focus their practice and scholarship on improving the health care of populations within their specialty.
Selection is based on an evaluation of academic background and practice interests. Admission requirements include the following:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree, cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above (BSN to DNP pathway)
- Master of Science (MS) in Nursing degree, cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above (MS to DNP pathway only)
- Advanced practice national certification for MS-DNP pathway (for current Nurse Practitioners only)
- Unrestricted RN licensure in the U.S.
- 2 Recommendations (References) - references should be from professional colleagues (supervisors, faculty, etc.) who can comment on the applicant's desire to enroll in the doctoral program
- Complete the online University of Arizona Graduate College application. For instructions click here.
- Transcripts: To download the Transcript Factsheet for complete instructions on submission of transcripts, click here.
- Computer literacy
- Additional documentation will be required if offered admission into the program.
Applicants may submit other credentials which they believe reflect their abilities. An interview (may be telephone) is required for post-master’s and nurse anesthetist applicants. Interviews are not required for BSN-DNP applicants with NP specialty.
There are additional application requirements for the nurse anesthesia specialty.
DNP Application Instructions
Applications are submitted through the University of Arizona Graduate College. After finishing your account details, you will be able to select “Apply to a Program.” Each of the Nurse Practitioner specialties are listed as individual programs. Please select "UA Online" as your campus for application. You will need to complete the application for the NP specialty you intend to pursue:
- Nursing (DNP) – Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing (DNP) – Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing (DNP) – Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing (DNP) – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing (DNP) - Nurse Anesthesia
- Nursing (DNP) – MS - DNP Pathway (non-specialty; for current APRNs)
The MS - DNP Pathway option is for applicants already certified as Nurse Practitioners, Nurse Midwifes, Clinical Nurses Specialists or CRNAs who are seeking the doctoral degree without an additional specialty. You may ONLY apply to one specialty per application cycle; please do not submit multiple applications.
The UA Graduate College Application requires all applicants to upload unofficial transcripts within the Educational History section of the GradApp. Official transcripts must be submitted to the College of Nursing after an offer of admission is extended. For additional information, please see our Transcript Submission Instructions.
Once admitted to the DNP program, you must submit an Arizona Department of Public Safety Fingerprint Clearance Card. ARS § 15-1881 is a condition of final acceptance. Complete information about the statute can be found at the following websites:
- Complete the online University of Arizona Graduate College Application by the international deadline date. For instructions click here.
- Submit a minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 paper based (PB), 79 internet based (iBT) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) composite score of 7 (no subject area below a 6).
- Transcripts and Degrees: Submit CGFNS documentation for nursing degrees earned outside of the United States. Please download the Transcript Factsheet for complete instructions on submission of international degrees and transcripts - click here.
The DNP application deadline is Dec. 1. Notifications of admission occurs mid-March.
For more information contact:
Office of Student Support & Community Engagement
College of Nursing, Room 112
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone: (520) 626-3808 or 1-800-288-6158