CON Website Content Management
NOTE: The information presented here is intended as a reference for authorized content managers in the College of Nursing. If you are a faculty or staff member and would like to request an update to website content, please see the CON Website Content Updates page for more information.
- Create a new CON Resource via the traditional Drupal workflow (Admin > Content > Add Content > CON Resource)
- The Summary field appears on any Card display mode of the CON Resource–a one sentence or less description is preferable
- The Links field can point either to the Drupal page that represents this node or to an external resource. Unfortunately, you cannot reliably know what the URL for the node will be before you create it, so you'll need to back fill this field with its RELATIVE path after the node is created. In the case of an external resource, use an ABSOLUTE path.
- Set the Topics field in the CON Resource Topics tab to make this CON Resource appear in the corresponding Resource Category View.
- Insert the CON Resource into the <Main menu> -- Resources ---- RESOURCE CATEGORY ------ RESOURCE TOPIC submenu in the Menu settings tab.
- The CON Resource can now be added into its corresponding Resource Category landing page. These are the top level pages that users typically access (Computing, Student Resources, etc.). These landing pages are Flexible pages, not CON Resources. Edit the page as usual and find the card where your newly created CON Resource should go. Add a link and friendly title in the list and be sure to use the RELATIVE path for Drupal pages or the ABSOLUTE path in the case of an external resource.
- Finally, in the case of external resources, there is an additional step. Since external URLs cannot be added into the Drupal menu system, users may find their way to the Drupal page attached to the external resource via the left-hand menu. This is probably a blank page at this point so you should add a "Access Resource" link to the page so users don't think there's an error.
- Email David Celaya (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request a new resource, update or move an existing resource, or delete a resource. Include the URL of the resource in your communication.
CON Resources present their body by way of Paragraphs but they can also be thought of as content structures. The UAQS team has provide a number of brand-compliant structures for use in UAQS pages such as CON Resources. The structures that are of particular interest to us are:
When adding a new file:
- For documents, always upload PDFs over Word documents. PDF is a cross-platform format that renders in most modern browsers. Word should only be used when the document is intended to edited by the user.
- For images, PNG is the preferred format as it supports transparency. Please be aware of the file size when uploading images.
- When uploading a new file, select a human-readable name. Do not include file extensions or other modifiers that make it difficult to determine what the file is. Think of the "Title" of the file rather than its location on disk.
- If the file has already been uploaded, select the Library tab in the Media browser dialog. Find your file, select it, and select the Link View mode with no alignment before hitting Embed.
When updating an existing file:
- If a file is out of date and needs to be updated, replace the file rather than upload a new one. To do this, either click the Gear icon by hovering over the file in the page body or go to Files and search for the title of the file. Select "Edit" and use the "Replace file" field to update the existing file. This approach is advantageous because it will update all references to the file across the website. It also reduces the number of junk, out-of-date files that otherwise would accumulate on our server.
Positioning files on a page:
It is sometimes difficult to position a file on a page in Drupal. The easiest approach is to create a blank Unordered List (Bulleted List) and copy-paste the <drupal-entity></drupal-entity> tag into the list item. This allows for an easy listing of files. You might need to manually add a new list item <li></li> via the HTML Source button before adding a file entity to it.
Videos cannot be uploaded to the CON website. Instead, videos must be hosted on an external service (i.e. YouTube, Vimeo) and embedded on one of our pages. After you have hosted your video on an external host, paste the video embed code into the SOURCE of your content structure. This is typically an <iframe></iframe> element. It may not appear immediately after adding it to the page so refresh once or twice to ensure the embed was successful.
Switch into Source mode and type the following:
<a href="YOUR URL" class="btn btn-default">BUTTON TEXT</a>
There are a variety of button styles available via UA Bootstrap, see them in action here. Be sure that you are using a HTML anchor tag <a> and not a button tag <button> or your button won't do anything.