In order to be eligible for professional admission to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program, applicants must complete the following prerequisite courses. All prerequisites must be completed with a grade of C or better. The minimum prerequisite GPA (calculated based on this list) for admission consideration is a 3.0.
Prerequisites courses include:
- First Year Composition Sequence
- One year General Chemistry (2 semesters - 2 lectures and a minimum of 1 lab)
- One year Human Anatomy & Physiology (2 semesters including lectures and laboratories)
- One semester Introductory Biology (lecture only)
- One semester Microbiology (lecture only)
- One semester Statistics
- One semester Lifespan Development
- One semester Nutrition
Descriptions of these courses can be found in the UA Academic Catalog.
Prerequisite Course Evaluation Procedure
In-State Coursework from Public Institutions
For courses taken at a public institution in Arizona (state university or community college), students may download the Arizona Course Equivalency Chart, which includes the exact courses that are acceptable for prerequisite transferability.
Out-of-State Coursework and In-State Private Institutions
Pre-established equivalencies can be searched and viewed on the University of Arizona's Transfer Credit Guide. If a course does not appear in this guide students will need to submit a course equivalency request to the Office of Transfer Credit & Articulation.
General Education and Foundation Requirements
The University of Arizona has additional degree requirements for General Education for Bachelor of Science candidates. Please refer to the UA Academic Catalog for specific details. The College of Nursing recommends that the General Education and Foundation requirements be completed prior to admission to the Professional BSN program. These requirements include:
- Tier I Individuals and Societies (2 courses)
- Tier I Traditions and Culture (2 courses)
- Tier II Individuals and Societies (1 course)
- Tier II Art (3 credits)
- Tier II Humanities (1 course)
Students must complete the University foundation coursework - available in the UA Academic Catalog:
- English Composition (1-2 semesters, depending on placement)
- Math – College Algebra or higher math course
- Second Language – student must demonstrate second semester proficiency by either:
- The completion of two semesters of the same second language OR
- A proctored proficiency exam, testing at second-semester level