- February 1: Application deadline to start the program in the fall term in the BSN professional program.
- September 1: Application deadline to start the program in the spring term in the BSN professional program.
Requirements & Evaluation
- Prerequisite Grade Point Average (GPA) for Nursing
- A combined minimum GPA of 3.0 is required
- A grade of ‘C’ or better is required in all prerequisites
- Two courses may be in-progress at the time of application
- Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required for all graded postsecondary coursework
- HESI Admissions Assessment Exam (HESI A2)
- Minimum score of 75 is required
- Required sections: Math, Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and General Knowledge, and Grammar
- Testing locations through UA Testing Center and Prometric Testing
- Behavioral Interview
- Minimum score of 70% is required
It is your responsibility to verify all required documentation is received by the appropriate deadlines. Please contact the Office of Student Support in Nursing to update any changes in your information. Incomplete applications will not be considered for admission.
- Admission to the University of Arizona – Undergraduate Admissions
You must have an application on file in order to begin the program. International students, please see the International section.
- Nursing Competitive Admission Process
The College of Nursing admits candidates by competitive ranking based on the combined scores of the Nursing Admission Criteria. As an applicant, you will be scored on the four elements for admission and ranked among all other applicants. We will admit the top candidates based on program capacity and offer a few students alternate positions. Alternates are not guaranteed a spot, however they are eligible to be admitted if a space should become available.
- HESI Admissions Assessment
Your highest score earned for the combined four sections taken in a single attempt will be utilized. The test must be taken by the date of application and any scores are valid for one year. One attempt every 45 days is allowed – if an additional exam is taken during the 45 day period only the first attempt will be allowed.
- GPA Calculations
All attempts at courses you take are calculated into cumulative GPA calculations unless they are removed through an official grade replacement process. For Prerequisite GPA calculation we utilize the highest grade earned. All courses must be from regionally accredited institutions of higher education.
- In-Progress Coursework
You are allowed two prerequisite courses to be in-progress at the time of application. All courses in-progress at the time of application must be completed with a grade of ‘C’ or better and students must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA in both cumulative and prerequisite areas. Courses must be complete and official transcripts must be available showing course completion by June 1 (for fall start) or January 1 (for spring start) if offered admission. If you are repeating a course at the time of application, you cannot report it as in-progress; you must use the previously earned grade until a new grade is earned.
You will be invited to a Behavioral Interview if your combined admission score from the Prerequisite GPA, Cumulative GPA and HESI Admissions Assessment places you in the top ranked candidates. Interviews are conducted primarily in Tucson, AZ; however limited accommodations may be approved to conduct interviews via video chat if you are unable to attend on-campus. Final admission is determined by ranking candidate total scores in all admission requirements.
- Transfer Courses and Evaluations
When transferring from another institution, you must have semester equivalent coursework from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- To view applicable transfer courses, please visit the University of Arizona's Transfer Credit Guide. If a course does not appear in this guide, students will need to submit a course equivalency request to the Office of Transfer Credit & Articulation.
- Please review the nursing prerequisite page for your program to review additional requirements for prerequisite coursework.
- Quarter System Courses
If you attended an institution on the quarter system, you will need to multiply the quarter hours by .667 to convert to semester hours.
- 5 Quarter Hours = 3.33 Semester Hours – acceptable for any 4 Semester Hour course
- 4 Quarter Hours = 2.66 Semester Hours – acceptable for any 3 Semester Hour course
Prior Nursing Program Disclosure
- If you have attended, but not graduated, from another nursing professional program a letter from the Nursing program administration must be included in the application. This includes attendance at any associates, nursing assistant, licensed profession nursing, bachelor’s or master’s pre-licensure programs. The letter must include all of the following information: institution, program name/type, dates of attendance, reason for non-completion and a statement indicating if there were any behavioral or clinical safe practice concerns.
- International Admission
When applying to the university as an international student, you will need to review the admission requirements and obtain admission through International Admissions.
- International Coursework Evaluation
Coursework taken outside the United States must be evaluated and translated by a NACES member. Please see the International Admissions page for additional details. As the course evaluation process can take additional time, we recommend you begin the evaluation process and secure international transcripts as early as possible.
- Degree Requirements
You are strongly recommended to have all University Foundation and General Education requirements completed before starting the professional program to ensure timely completion of the program.
- Fingerprint Clearance Card
An Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card (FCC) will be required. In order to interview, a copy of your completed application or a physical card will be required. FCC cards can be obtained from the Arizona Department of Public Safety. If you do not currently have a FCC, we highly recommend applying for a card immediately.