The University of Arizona College of Nursing is committed to creating an academically challenging and supportive educational community of students with diverse talents, experiences, viewpoints and cultural backgrounds. Faculty members of the College are interested in receiving applications from highly motivated students who share their passion for advancing and disseminating nursing knowledge through research. Applications are particularly encouraged from students who intend to focus their research in one of the research focal areas.
Selection is based on an evaluation of academic background, research interests and availability of suitable faculty expertise for mentorship. Eligibility requirements include the following:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree, cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Master of Science (MS) in Nursing degree, cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above (MS-PhD program option)
- Three recommendations attesting to the applicant’s potential to succeed in doctoral study. Recommendations will be submitted electronically through the online application.
- Completion of the online University of Arizona Graduate College Application. For instructions, click here.
- Transcripts: To download the Transcript Factsheet for complete instructions on submission of transcripts - click here.
- Resume/CV: Please use the suggested template to help identify key areas our faculty look for during the admissions process.
- Computer literacy
- Applicant-Faculty mentoring match (see PhD FAQ for additional clarification)
- Additional documentation will be required if offered admission into the program.
Applicants may submit other credentials which they believe reflect their abilities. A telephone interview is required of top applicants.
PhD Application Instructions:
Applications are submitted through the University of Arizona Graduate College. After finishing your account details, you will be able to apply to a program. The PhD program is listed as “Nursing (PhD).” The application deadline is December 1st each year.
The PhD program coursework is completed fully-online. Students are required to attend a mandatory, on-campus, one-week orientation known as the Resident Intensive Summer Experience (RISE) in Tucson, AZ each year. Because of the requirements of the PhD program, international applicants must verify all appropriate documentation and review all regulations and procedures with both the University of Arizona Office of International Student Services and the Graduate College regarding program admission, enrollment in an online program and requirements for on-ground attendance at RISE each year.
In addition to completing the online UA Graduate College application, international applicants must:
- Submit a minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 paper based (PB), 79 internet based (iBT) or an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) composite score of 7 (no subject area below a 6).
- Submit CGFNS documentation for nursing/medical degrees earned outside of the United States. Please see the Transcript Submission Instructions for more information.
The UA Graduate College application requires all applicants to upload unofficial transcripts within the Educational History section. Official transcripts must be submitted to the College of Nursing after an offer of admission is extended. For additional information, please see our Transcript Submission Instructions.
For more information contact:
Office of Student Support & Community Engagement
College of Nursing, Room 112
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone: (520) 626-3808 or 1-800-288-6158