From Dean Joan Shaver
Welcome to our website! Whether you are a prospective student, faculty colleague or friend, or an alumnus, I appreciate your interest in our College of Nursing.
Join us and become a "Wildcat" professional nurse leader! Or connect with us to support Wildcat nursing in any capacity. We represent a growth profession in both entry-level and advanced nursing practice. Nursing is a versatile profession that allows one to have multiple varied careers over a lifetime without ever leaving nursing. Nurses practice everywhere - the opportunities are limitless!
Perhaps you are or want to be on the front lines of patient care in hospitals and long-term care facilities; in public health, school or community health centers; in military, government or flight nursing. With an advanced degree, you might be or want to be a teacher of nursing in community colleges or university schools; a primary-care clinician in group practices, clinics and ambulatory care facilities; a nurse executive in virtually every kind of health care-related entity; or a nurse researcher in a university or a health-related corporation.
Why connect with us at the University of Arizona College of Nursing?
We are committed to preparing and facilitating people to embrace a myriad of opportunities to ensure that people have the highest quality health care possible from outstanding nurse leaders.
- Will enthusiastically collaborate with you in achieving your personal career goals
- Are nationally and internationally renowned as superb educators, mentors and scholars
- Are innovating through knowledge discovery
What we stand for:
- Caring for and about people’s health and health care, for now and the future
- Recognized excellence in nursing and health-care education, research and practice (currently ranked among the top 10 percent of nursing graduate schools)
- Access to learning through leading-edge online technology (courses that are completely web-based or blended with intensive face-to-face learning)
- Advancing global nursing development (collaborative connections with universities, particularly in Mexico and Asia)
Where we are located and why people love it:
- We are physically located in Tucson, Arizona
- 45 miles north of the Mexican border in the unique Sonoran Desert
- Shares common borders with the Tohono O'odham and the Pascua Yaqui Indian Nations
- Surrounded by stunning mountains, some rising to more than 9,000 feet
- Has a rich Western history and culture influenced by Native Americans, Mexican and multi-descent American pioneers
- Has more than 300 days of sunshine per year, more than any other U.S. region
Please explore this website and see how our programs and scholarship might be a fit with you.
- two pathways to earn an entry-level nursing degree (for eligibility to seek an RN license)
- one for students upon completing the prerequisite coursework for admissions (Bachelor of Science in Nursing [BSN] Program)
- one for people with prerequisite courses and a university degree in another field (Master’s Entry to the Profession of Nursing [MEPN] Program)
- two routes for working RNs to continue in the profession (Registered Nurse to Master of Science [RN to MS] Program)
- one for working RNs with an Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN)
- one for working RNs with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- three pathways to earn an advanced degree
We also have learning opportunities beyond those associated with earning degrees. Check us out and let us know any interest you have in connecting with us!
Joan L. Shaver, PhD, RN, FAAN
Dean and Professor